- ABMS Certification:
- Internal Medicine; Cardiovascular Disease
- Research Interests:
Pathophysiology and treatment of congestive heart failure, transplant, left ventricular assist device (LVAD), and general cardiology.
- Clinical Practice:
- Heart Failure, Left Ventricular Assist Devices (LVAD), Heart Transplant, Heart Transplant
Medical Director, Heart Failure / Cardiac Transplantation Program
- Professor of Internal Medicine
James D. Bergin, MD, has more than 20 years of experience as a teacher, researcher and clinical practitioner specializing in heart failure and transplantation. He is board certified in cardiovascular disease, internal medicine, and cardiology, and as a medical examiner. He is also certified as an Advanced Cardiac Life Support instructor.
Dr. Bergin has been principal investigator or co-principal investigator on 45 multi-center clinical trials involving heart failure. He has shared his research and experience through 90 invited lectures and as author or co-author of 50 peer- reviewed journal publications, 25 book chapters or books, and 39 scientific abstracts. He is a member of the Heart Failure Society of America, and a recipient of several teaching awards, including the UVA Department of Medicine's Clinical Excellence Award. He is the medical director of Cardiac Transplant/Heart Failure and the director of the Coronary Care Unit at UVA.
- 2015-2018 Best Doctors in America® List
- Tufts University, 1984
- Internal Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine
- Cardiology, University of Virginia; Transplantation, Brigham and Women's