- ABMS Certification:
- Surgery, Thoracic Surgery
- Research Interests:
Single ventricle palliation using ventricular assist devices|Neuroprotection during circulatory arrest regional cerebral perfusion
- Clinical Practice:
- Coarctation of the Aorta, Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS), Pericarditis- Pediatric, Tetralogy of Fallot, Ebstein's Anomaly- Pediatric, Fetal Heart, Heart Transplant- Pediatric, Pediatric Heart Conditions, Pediatric Transplant
- Associate Professor
James Gangemi, MD, is the surgical director of pediatric congenital heart surgery at UVA, and medical director of the pediatric ECMO (extra-corporeal membrane oxygenation) program, which provides life support for children whose heart and lungs aren’t functioning normally.
Dr. Gangemi was born in Rochester, New York, and attended Johns Hopkins University, where he majored in biology and was an Academic All-American in basketball. He earned his medical degree from the University of Rochester and trained in surgery and thoracic cardiovascular surgery at UVA. He completed his fellowship training in pediatric cardiac surgery at the University of Rochester, and then joined the faculty there in the Department of Pediatrics.
In 2009, Dr. Gangemi moved back to central Virginia. For five years he served as an assistant professor of surgery and pediatrics and as surgical director of pediatric cardiac surgery at both UVA and Virginia Commonwealth University. In 2015, he was promoted to associate professor of surgery and pediatrics at UVA. He is also the associate program director for the Integrated-6 Cardiothoracic Surgery Residency at UVA.
- 2015 Bedside Manner Award, Our Health Magazine; Second place
- University of Rochester, 1996
- Surgery, University of Virginia; TCV, University of Virginia;
- Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, University of Rochester