- ABMS Certification:
- Surgery, Thoracic Surgery
- Research Interests:
Single ventricle palliation using ventricular assist devices, Neuroprotection during circulatory arrest with regional cerebral perfusion
- Clinical Practice:
- Coarctation of the Aorta, Pulmonary Hypertension in Newborns (PPHN), Heart Transplant, Heart Transplant, Congenital Heart Defect Care, Pediatric Heart Conditions, Arterial Switch, Coarctation of the Aorta- Pediatrics, Double Aortic Arch, Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome, Hypoplastic Right Heart Syndrome, Septal Defects, TAPVR, Tetralogy of Fallot, Truncus Arteriosus, Fetal Heart
- Associate Professor
James Gangemi, MD, is the surgical director of pediatric congenital heart surgery at UVA, and medical director of the pediatric ECMO (extra-corporeal membrane oxygenation) program, which provides life support for children whose heart and lungs aren’t functioning normally.
Dr. Gangemi was born in Rochester, New York, and attended Johns Hopkins University, where he majored in biology and was an Academic All-American in basketball. He earned his medical degree from the University of Rochester and trained in surgery and thoracic and cardiovascular surgery at UVA. He completed his fellowship training in pediatric cardiac surgery at the University of Rochester, and then joined the faculty there in the Department of Pediatrics.
In 2009, Dr. Gangemi moved back to central Virginia. For five years he served as an assistant professor of surgery and pediatrics and as surgical director of pediatric cardiac surgery at both UVA and Virginia Commonwealth University. In 2015, he was promoted to associate professor of surgery and pediatrics at UVA.
- 2019-2020 Best Doctors in America® List
- 2015 Bedside Manner Award, Our Health Magazine; Second place
- University of Rochester, 1996
- Surgery, University of Virginia; TCV, University of Virginia;
- Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, University of Rochester