- ABMS Certification:
- Internal Medicine; Rheumatology
- Research Interests:
Immunologic mechanisms of systemic lupus erythematosus. Also, the use of complementary and alternative techniques in treatment of rheumatic diseases.
- Clinical Practice:
- Osteoarthritis, Gout, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Scleroderma, Sjogren's Syndrome, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE), Vasculitis, Rheumatology
- Associate Professor
Janet Lewis, MD, is chief of the Division of Rheumatology at UVA.
Dr. Lewis grew up in a small town in Ohio. She completed her undergraduate studies at Ohio State University and earned her medical degree at the Medical College of Ohio, during which she did a year of research at the National Institutes of Health as a Howard Hughes Medical Institute medical student research fellow. She completed her both her residency in internal medicine and fellowship in rheumatology at UVA.
Dr. Lewis joined the UVA faculty in 1993. In 2009, she completed a fellowship in integrative medicine through the University of Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine, and her research interests include the use of complementary and alternative modalities in treating rheumatic disorders. She has led the Division of Rheumatology since 2013.
- 2017-2020 Best Doctors in America® List
- Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, 1987
- Internal Medicine, University of Virginia
- Rheumatology, University of Virginia