Jason P Sheehan, MD, PhD
- Research Interests:
Brain tumors, radiosurgery, health care quality
- Clinical Practice:
- Acoustic Neuroma, Arteriovenous Malformations (AVMs), Astrocytoma, Vertebral Compression Fracture, Chondrosarcoma, Chronic Neck Pain, Degenerative Disc Disease, Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM), Meningioma, Obsessive-Compulsive disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD), Pituitary Adenomas, Seizure Disorder, Trigeminal Neuralgia, Whiplash, Brain Tumors, Chordoma, Hemangioblastomas, Metastatic Tumors, Uveal Melanoma, Lumbar Stenosis, Brain Metastases, Gamma Knife (radiosurgery), Skull Base Conditions, Pituitary, Pediatric Neurosurgery
Jason Sheehan received his BS, MS, PhD and MD from the University of Virginia. His BS is in Chemical Engineering with the highest honors awarded from the School of Engineering. He performed fellowships at Auckland University and the University of Pittsburgh.
In 2017 Dr. Sheehan was named editor-in-chief of the Journal of Neuro-Oncology, the premier journal for neuro-oncology publications. He has written more than 250 peer-reviewed papers and has published several books and numerous invited manuscripts. He reviews manuscripts for the Journal of Neurosurgery, Neurosurgery, World Neurosurgery, Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery and Nature Clinical Practice Oncology. Dr. Sheehan has an active laboratory pursuing translational and basic science research in the area of brain tumors. He also helps to oversee clinical trials for brain tumor patients.
Dr. Sheehan won the University of Virginia Clinical Excellence Award in 2006, the AANS/CNS Translational Brain Tumor Research Award, the WFNS Young Neurosurgeon Award and the Synthes Skull Base Award. He is the editor of SANS and serves on various committees in the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS), World Federation of Neurological Societies, International Radiosurgery Association, North American Gamma Knife Research Consortium and Southern Neurosurgical Society. He is a member of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS), the American College of Surgeons, Leksell Gamma Knife Society, Neurosurgical Society of the Virginias, AANS/CNS Tumor Section and the American Society of Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgeons.
- 2011-2020 Best Doctors in America® List
- 2018 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; Third Place, Surgery: Neurosurgery
- University of Virginia, 1998
- Neurosurgery, University of Virginia; Surgery, University of Virginia
- Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, University of Pittsburgh; Neurosurgery, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand