Jennifer L Kirby, MD
- Endocrinology and Metabolism
- ABMS Certification:
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- Research Interests:
Inpatient management of hyperglycemia
- Clinical Practice:
- Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes, Diabetes and Metabolism, Insulin Pump
- Associate Professor
Dr. Jennifer Kirby is an associate professor of endocrinology and metabolism, specializing in caring for patients with diabetes. She is board-certified in both general internal medicine and endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism. She is the co-director of the Cardiovascular Diabetes consult service at University Hospital and is a quality liaison for her division within the Department of Medicine.
Dr. Kirby was born in New Mexico but grew up near Washington, D.C., in Maryland. She attended the University of Maryland, College Park for her undergraduate studies, after which she took a position at the National Cancer Institute. She then completed her medical degree and PhD at the University of Virginia, remaining at UVA for her internal medicine residency — during which she served as chief resident for a year — and a fellowship in endocrinology and metabolism. She joined the faculty at UVA in 2011.
Married, with two sons, Dr. Kirby enjoys spending time with her family, particularly activities involving the outdoors and hockey. She also enjoys running the country roads and mountain trails near her central Virginia home.
- 2015 Bedside Manner Award, Our Health Magazine; First Place
- 2018 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; First Place, Endocrinology
- University of Virginia School of Medicine 2005
- University of Virginia School of Medicine (Internal Medicine)
- University of Virginia School of Medicine (Endocrinology & Metabolism)