- ABMS Certification:
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Research Interests:
Hormone therapy, SERMS, menopausal therapies, prevention and treatment of osteoporosis, nonhormonal treatment of hot flashes, loss of libido, decision-making about HRT
- Clinical Practice:
- Atrophic Vaginitis, Menopause, Osteoporosis, Postmenopausal Bleeding, Urinary Tract Infection (UTI), Hormone Therapy for Fibroids, Hysteroscopy, Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT), Mastalgia (breast pain), Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID), Women's Health, OB/Gyn
Division Director, Midlife Health Center
Division Director of Midlife Health Center, JoAnn V. Pinkerton, MD, has published more than 90 peer-reviewed publications, 70 abstracts, 30 invited papers and 11 invited chapters. She is a fellow of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, a professor of obstetrics at UVA and the executive director of the North American Menopause Society (NAMS).
In addition, she’s served as principal investigator for over 30 clinical trials on treatment of vasomotor symptoms with hormonal and non-hormonal therapies. Dr. Pinkerton has developed five women’s midlife health festivals and has helped plan the biannual midlife community educational symposium since 2013.
Learn more about Dr. Pinkerton on Facebook.
- 2010-2020 Best Doctors in America® List
- 2013 UVA Sharon Hostler Women in Leadership award
- American Library Association award for Understanding Midlife Health
- Medical College of Virginia, 1981
- Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Virginia