- ABMS Certification:
- Family Practice, 1990, 1996, 2003; Geriatrics, 1998
- Research Interests:
Improving medical education, particularly in regards to care of the elderly and patients with chronic illness.
- Clinical Practice:
- Alzheimer's Disease, Dementia, Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes, Geriatrics, Family Medicine, Primary Care
- Associate Professor
Dr. Gazewood received his undergraduate degree in chemistry from Grinnell College in Iowa, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society. He attended Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, where he was a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society. He completed a residency in Family Medicine at the University of Missouri-Columbia, and practiced in the small town of Madisonville, TN for 5 years, before returning to the University of Missouri to complete a geriatric fellowship and earn a masters of science in public health. Dr. Gazewood joined the faculty at the University of Virginia in 1997. He has been heavily involved in teaching medical students and residents, and he is currently the Residency Program Director for Family Medicine. He is also the Medical Director of the Primary Care Center practice and is very interested in improving the quality of care provided for patients. He has been selected to Best Doctors in America in 2008, 2010 and 2012, and has served on the Geriatric Board Exam committee. He is board certified in Family Medicine and in Geriatrics.
Dr. Gazewood has been married to his wife, Patty, for 25 years, and they have 4 children. In his free time, Dr. Gazewood helps to coach his sons soccer teams, is involved in Boy Scouts and enjoys outdoor activities, especially hiking and fly-fishing.
- 2015-2018 Best Doctors in America® List
- Harrison Teaching Associate Professor in Family Medicine
- 2011 Master Educator Award
- 2002 Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2001 Steven A. Meixel Award for Excellence in Resident Teaching
- 1997 American Geriatric Society Annual Conference Poster Award, Geriatric Education
- Vanderbilt University, 1987
- Family and Community Medicine, University of Missouri-Columbia
- Geriatrics and Faculty Development, University of Missouri-Columbia