John Jared Christophel, MD
- Head & Neck Surgical Oncology, Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- Research Interests:
- Clinical Practice:
- Basal Cell Carcinoma, Nose Fracture, Cleft Lip/Cleft Palate- Pediatric, Deviated Nasal Septum, Neurofibromatosis Type 2, Oral-Facial Clefts, Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Nasal and Sinus Cancer, Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT), Head and Neck Cancer, Facial Plastics Reconstruction
- Associate Professor
Dr. Christophel earned his Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemistry from the College of William and Mary. He received his medical school education at the University of Virginia. He then completed an internship in General Surgery followed by four years of postgraduate residency training in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, all at the University of Virginia. After residency, he completed a one year fellowship in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery under Dr. Peter Hilger at the University of Minnesota.
After completing his training, Dr. Christophel returned to the University of Virginia where he is an Associate Professor in the Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, Division of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Dr. Christophel sees patients at the Fontaine Research Park and operates at the Virginia Outpatient Surgery Center.
Dr. Christophel enjoys offering his patients the full spectrum of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Services include facial trauma, reconstructive and aesthetic rhinoplasty, cleft lip and palate repair, facial reconstruction after treatment for skin cancer, laser treatment for congenital and aesthetic problems, and cosmetic surgery. Dr. Christophel is specifically trained to perform facial plastic surgery. He does not perform plastic surgery on the lower body.
Dr. Christophel enjoys spending time with his wife and children. He and his wife met on a medical trip to Peru, and have since spent time serving in Honduras and Ghana, Africa.
- 2019 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; Third Place, Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive
- 2019-2020 Best Doctors in America® List
- 2018 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; Third Place, Plastic Surgeon: Reconstructive
- University of Virginia School of Medicine 2004
- University of Virginia School of Medicine
- University of Minnesota Department of Otolaryngology