- ABMS Certification:
- Internal Medicine; Sports Medicine
- Clinical Practice:
- Primary Care
A faculty member since 1996, John MacKnight, MD, is a professor of internal medicine at UVA. He is also the medical director and primary care team physician for UVA Athletics, and has an adjunct clinical appointment in orthopedic surgery. In this latter role, MacKnight sees athletes and active individuals for non-operative orthopedic care and concussions.
Born and raised in Fredericksburg, MacKnight attended the University of Delaware for undergraduate training, and then went on to Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia for medical school. He completed his internal medicine residency at UVA, followed by a primary care sports medicine fellowship at University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill.
MacKnight has been recognized as one of America’s Top Doctors, declared a fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, and he has received top patient satisfaction scores during his tenure at UVA Health.
MacKnight is married with four children. In his free time, he enjoys following all UVA sports, traveling, exploring new foods and photography.
- 2019 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; Honorable Mention, Sports Medicine
- 2015-2020 Best Doctors in America® List
- 2012 Fellow, American College of Sports Medicine
- Jefferson Medical College
- University of Virginia
- University of North Carolina