- ABMS Certification:
- Pediatrics,; Perinatal Medicine
- Research Interests:
Quality Improvement, Neonatal Intestinal Disease, Infection
- Clinical Practice:
- Neonatal Care (NICU)
- Associate Professor
Jonathan Swanson, MD, is the chief quality officer for children's services and the medical director for the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) where he works with the nurse leadership to oversee the day-to-day functions.
As a neonatologist, Dr. Swanson loves the interactions with parents and families, as well as taking care of sick and premature infants. His passion and research focuses on necrotizing enterocolitis, an intestinal infection that afflicts this population. He is also interested in quality improvement methodology and cost-effective care.
Dr. Swanson knew he wanted to work with kids after coaching a basketball team of third and fourth grade girls as a senior in high school. In college at Pepperdine University, he found that his love of science pushed him toward a career in medicine.
Dr. Swanson completed medical school at the University of Rochester and subsequently completed both his pediatric residency and neonatal-perinatal medicine fellowship at the University of Virginia. After completing his fellowship, he worked in northern New Jersey until returning to UVA in 2011. He obtained his master’s degree in healthcare quality and safety in 2013.
Dr. Swanson enjoys living in the Charlottesville area as it allows ample opportunities for outdoor activities with his wife and kids. They especially enjoy hiking in Shenandoah and visiting the local orchards.
- 2019 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; Third Place, Neonatology
- 2018 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; Second Place, Neonatology
- 2015-2020 Best Doctors in America® List
- 2015 Bedside Manner Award, Our Health Magazine; First place
- University of Rochester, NY 2002
- University of Virginia School of Medicine (Pediatrics)
- University of Virgina School of Medicine (Neonatology)