Jonathan S. Black, MD
- Plastic Surgery/Craniofacial Surgery/Burns: Pediatric
- ABMS Certification:
- American Board of Plastic Surgery - General
- Clinical Practice:
- Cleft Lip/Cleft Palate- Pediatric, Oral-Facial Clefts, Laceration Repair, Skin Graft, Breast Reduction, Plastic Surgery, Pediatric Plastic Surgery
- Assistant Professor
Jonathan Black, MD, FACS, FAAP, is a board-certified plastic surgeon with fellowship training in craniofacial and cleft surgery. He treats children with congenital facial deformities such as birthmarks, abnormal head and ear shape and cleft palate and lip. He also sees patients of all ages for facial injuries, skin cancer reconstruction, burns, breast surgery, wound care and aesthetic complaints.
After earning his medical degree from the University of Nebraska College of Medicine, in Omaha, Dr. Black came to UVA for a residency in plastic surgery. The son and grandson of plastic surgeons, Dr. Black chose to join the specialty because of the opportunity to have an immediate positive impact on the function and appearance of patients. He completed a fellowship in craniofacial surgery at the Medical College of Wisconsin, and joined UVA as an assistant professor in 2014.
Dr. Black has completed medical mission trips in Jamaica, India and Romania, and is particularly passionate about treating cleft lip and palate. He is an active educator as clerkship co-director of the surgical subspecialties for UVA medical school. He is also the associate program director for the plastic surgery residency program at UVA. Finally, his research interests are diverse and include craniofacial surgery, skull expansion, ear molding and CT imaging of the face and skull.
- 2018 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; First Place, Plastic Surgeon: Reconstructive
- University of Nebraska
- University of Virginia
- Medical College of Wisconsin