Jonathan S. Black, MD
- Plastic Surgery/Craniofacial Surgery/Burns: Pediatric
- ABMS Certification:
- American Board of Plastic Surgery - General
- Research Interests:
Clinical Outcomes, Cranial Defects and Remodeling, 3D Printing, VPI
- Clinical Practice:
- Cleft Lip/Cleft Palate- Pediatric, Laceration Repair, Skin Graft, Breast Reduction, Plastic Surgery, Pediatric Plastic Surgery, Transgender Gender Confirmation Surgery
- Assistant Professor
Jonathan Black, MD, FACS, FAAP, is a board-certified plastic surgeon with fellowship training in craniofacial and cleft surgery. He treats children with congenital facial deformities such as birthmarks, abnormal head and ear shape, and cleft palate and lip.
While he has a focus on the face, he enjoys treating numerous concerns across the body and sees patients of all ages. His expertise includes:
- Migraine surgery
- Facial trauma
- Facial feminization
- General plastic surgery
Having an immediate positive impact on the function and appearance of his patients drives Dr. Black. "Being a surgeon and caring for my patients is not what I do; It is who I am. I can’t imagine doing anything else. I'm thrilled to use my skill to help those in Virginia as well as around the world," he shares.
He adds, "My experience in treating issues of many types makes me better at treating all of my patients and addressing their concerns with both reconstructive and aesthetic needs."
Dr. Black has a natural passion for knowing how things work. The ultimate expression of this is knowing how the human body works. Combining this passion with a love of problem-solving and the desire to care for others made medicine an obvious career choice.
A native of Nebraska, Dr. Black grew up in Elkhorn, a suburb of Omaha. Dr. Black followed in both his father’s and grandfather’s footsteps into plastic surgery. He completed residency training in plastic surgery at UVA. After his craniofacial surgery fellowship training in Wisconsin, Dr. Black returned to UVA in 2014. An associate professor in both Plastic Surgery and Pediatrics departments, he also serves as the Plastic Surgery residency program director.
Dr. Black has completed medical mission trips in Jamaica, India and Romania, and is particularly passionate about treating cleft lip and palate.
An avid sports fan, Dr. Black spends the majority of his time outside of work with his wife and three children. He loves to travel both for work and for fun, and his favority activity is snow skiing.
- 2021 Recognition of Outstanding Patient Experience – UVA Health Outpatient Clinics: Overall Doctor Rating – 96th percentile
- 2020 Excellence in Performance Assessment Award (Surgical Subspecialties) – Entrustable Professional Activities
- 2020 UVA Academy of Excellence in Education, Inductee
- 2020 Recognition of Outstanding Patient Experience – UVA Health Outpatient Clinics: Overall Doctor Rating – 99th percentile
- 2019 Frederick K. Gampper, III Faculty Award for Excellence in Education
- 2019 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; Second Place, Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive
- 2018 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; First Place, Plastic Surgeon: Reconstructive
- University of Nebraska
- University of Virginia
- Medical College of Wisconsin