- ABMS Certification:
- Diagnostic Radiology; Neuroradiology
- Research Interests:
Pediatric neuroradiology, pituitary MRI, orbit and visual pathway imaging, adult brain and spine diagnostic neuroradiology
- Clinical Practice:
- Neuroradiology, MRA
- Associate Professor
Dr. Matsumoto joined the Department of Radiology at the University of Virginia in 1991. She is board certified in diagnostic radiology with subspecialty certification in neuroradiology and is a senior member of the American Society of Neuroradiology (ASNR). Her clinical practice includes the interpretation of imaging studies of pediatric and adult brain, spine, and head and neck disorders. She has special expertise in pediatric neuroradiology, imaging of the orbit and visual pathways and pituitary imaging. In her role as an educator, Dr. Matsumoto teaches medical students, residents and fellows in the area of neurological imaging. She is the author of a digital atlas and reference book on normal pediatric brain MRI.
Dr. Matsumoto earned her BS and MD degrees from the University of Iowa, where she was elected to the Phi Beta Kappa and Alpha Omega Alpha honor societies. She completed her radiology residency training at the University of North Carolina, followed by a two year ACGME accredited neuroradiology fellowship program at George Washington University.
She enjoys volunteering as an international neuroradiology consultant for Swinfen Charitable Trust, an organization that uses telemedicine to assist the medical treatment of poor, sick and disabled people around the world.
- 2016 Sharon L. Hostler Women in Medicine Leadership Award, University of Virginia
- 2013 Elected Fellow in the American College of Radiology (ACR)
- 2011 Elected to the Academy of Distinguished Educators, University of Virginia School of Medicine
- University of Iowa, 1983
- Diagnostic Radiology, University of North Carolina, 1983 - 1987
- Neuroradiology, George Washington University, 1987 - 1989