Laura N. Homewood, MD
- Midlife Health, Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Primary Location:
UVA Midlife Health and Gynecologic Specialties Northridge
2955 Ivy Rd.
Charlottesville, VA 22903Directions
- Secondary Locations:
- ABMS Certification:
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Research Interests:
Fertility preservation in cancer patients
Risk-reduction in patients with BRCA mutations
Impact of endometriosis on fertility
- Clinical Practice:
- Endometriosis, Ovarian Cyst, Uterine Fibroids (Fibromyoma), Hysterectomy for Fibroids, Infertility in Women, Hysteroscopy, Pelvic Floor Disorders
- Assistant Professor
Laura Homewood, MD, is a gynecologic surgeon who specializes in performing minimally invasive laparoscopic and hysteroscopic surgery for women with a variety of complex gynecologic conditions. These include uterine fibroids, endometriosis, infertility, ovarian cysts, abnormal uterine bleeding, pelvic pain, and more.
Dr. Homewood has a particular interest in surgical education, surgical quality improvement through large databases and enjoys teaching medical students and fellows through surgical simulation activities.
Dr. Homewood received her undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan, where she graduated magna cum laude with a degree in brain, behavior, and cognitive sciences. She remained at the University of Michigan for medical school, acting as president of the Galens Medical Society charity organization and graduating with honors in service to the community.
Dr. Homewood then completed a four-year obstetrics and gynecology residency at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina. She completed a minor concentration in law, ethics, and health policy during her residency.
After her residency, Dr. Homewood chose to do a two-year fellowship and pursue specialized training in minimally invasive gynecologic surgery at Magee Womens Hospital at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. There, she also completed a Certificate in Medical Education at the University of Pittsburgh Institute for Clinical Research and Education.
In her free time, Dr. Homewood and her husband enjoy all sorts of outdoor activities, especially taking their puppy for hikes and swims. She loves attending sporting events and volunteers in the community with The First Tee organization, teaching foundational life skills through golf to children in need. She is also an avid yogi and hopes to become a certified prenatal yoga instructor one day and open a yoga studio.
- American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
- Society for Gynecologic Surgeons
- American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Award
- Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons Resident Achievement Award
- The Charles B. Hammond Research Day Competition, first prize for her research in surgical skills acquisition in robotic surgery
- University of Michigan
- Duke University
- University of Pittsburgh