- ABMS Certification:
- Internal Medicine, 1987; American Board of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 1998
- Research Interests:
Medical Ethics | Palliative Medicine
- Clinical Practice:
- VHL Care, Palliative Care
- Associate Professor
Leslie Blackhall, MD, is the section head for palliative care at UVA. She grew up in Upstate New York and attended Yale University. After earning her medical degree from New York University, and she completed residency and fellowship training in internal medicine and medical ethics at Boston University. She also earned a master of theologic studies from Harvard Divinity School, with a concentration in biomedical ethics, history and philosophy.
After a decade of work at the University of Southern California, Dr. Blackhall joined UVA in 2001 as an associate professor, research coordinator at the Center for Biomedical Ethics, and medical director of palliative outpatient clinics. She has led the palliative care division since 2012.
- 2019 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; Third Place, Palliative Medicine
- 2018 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; Honorable Mention, Palliative Medicine
- 2015 Bedside Manner Award, Our Health Magazine; Second Place
- New York University, 1984
- Internal Medicine, Boston University
- General Medicine, Boston University