- ABMS Certification:
- Orthopaedic Surgery, 1995, 2002
- Research Interests:
Cruciate ligament, meniscus and articular cartilage injuries; Shoulder disorders
- Clinical Practice:
- ACL Injury, Adhesive Capsulitis (Frozen Shoulder), Ankle Sprain, Patella Fracture (Broken Kneecap), Calcific Tendonitis of the Shoulder, Chronic Compartment Syndrome (CCS), Floating Shoulder, Meniscal Tear, Muscle Strain, Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Runner's Knee), Posterior Cruciate Ligament Injury (PCL tear), Rotator Cuff Injury, Achilles Tendon Rupture, Shoulder Dislocation, Shoulder Instability, Shoulder Labral Tear, Sprain, Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Surgery, Clavicle Fracture (Broken Collarbone), Shin Splint, Shoulder Tendinopathy, Sports Medicine
Division Head, Sports Medicine
Dr. Mark Miller is the S. Ward Casscells Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and the division head for Sports Medicine at the University of Virginia. His clinical practice focuses primarily on knee and shoulder arthroscopy and complex reconstructions. He is board-certified in both orthopaedic surgery and orthopaedic sports medicine.
Born in Mesa, Ariz., Dr. Miller’s family also lived in Kansas and Texas before his father’s service in the U.S. Air Force took them to Travis Air Force Base in California, where he spent the rest of his youth. Dr. Miller attended the Air Force Academy in Colorado, serving as a civil engineer in the Air Force prior to medical school. He earned his medical degree from the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., and completed an internship and residency in orthopaedic surgery at Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center, an Air Force medical center in San Antonio, Texas.
Dr. Miller completed a fellowship in sports medicine and shoulder surgery at the University of Pittsburgh and then served as a surgeon at the Air Force Academy and at Wilford Hall. He was also selected for two traveling fellowships, one in North America and the other in the Asia-Pacific.
When his Air Force training was complete in 2000, Dr. Miller joined the faculty at UVA. He continued to serve in the Air Force Reserves for several more years.
Dr. Miller is married with four grown children — three boys and a girl. In his spare time, he enjoys golf, skiing, fishing and boating.
- 2015-2018 Best Doctors in America® List
- 2011 Becker's Top 70 Knee Surgeons in America
- 2011 Best Doctors of Virginia and Washington DC, Virginia Living
- Air Force Resident Teaching Award
- UVA Resident Teaching Award (2)
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- Traveling Fellow/Godfather
- Past Education Chairman, AOSSM
- Herodicus Award, AOSSM
- Trillat Award, International Sports Medicine Society
- Best Doctors/Who's Who/Academic Keys
- Top 19 National Sports Medicine Doctors
- Top 50 National Knee Surgeons
- Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, F. Edward Herbert School of Medicine, 1987
- Orthopaedics, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center
- Sports Medicine, University of Pittsburgh