Mark F Abel, MDDepartment: Orthopaedic Surgery Division: Pediatric Orthopaedics, Spine Surgery Title: Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery; Professor of Pediatrics ABMS Certification: Orthopaedic Surgery Other Appointment: Division Head, Division of Pediatric Orthopaedics
Contact InformationPrimary Location:
Pediatric Orthopedic Clinic Fourth Floor 1204 W. Main St. Charlottesville, VA 22903 Phone: 434.982.4215 | Fax: 434.982.1727 Other Locations:
Dr. Abel has been with the UVA Health System since 1993. He has served in numerous leadership roles including chair of the department of orthopaedic surgery between 2002 and 2003 and from August of 2008 through August 2013. He has been involved in committees overseeing quality and strategy. Dr. Abel has joint appointments at the rank of professor in the departments of pediatrics and neurosurgery.
He serves as the division head of pediatric orthopaedics, which has been ranked in the top 50 such programs by US News & World Report. He is also the Medical Director of the Motion Analysis & Motor Performance Laboratory. His expertise covers a broad range of musculoskeletal conditions affecting children. Approximately 50 percent of his practice deals with the management of spinal conditions in children, including healthy children and children with chronic conditions such as cerebral palsy.
He is nationally recognized as an expert in pediatric orthopaedics and pediatric spinal deformities and scoliosis. He has published over 90 original papers and numerous book chapters on topics in pediatric orthopaedics. He has been listed among Connelly’s Best Doctors in America annually since 2006.
- 2012 awarded the Charles J. Frankel Professorship in Orthopaedic Surgery
- 2008-2013 Lillian Pratt Distinguished Chair, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- 2006 Editor for American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; Orthopaedic Knowledge Update-Pediatrics
- Served on Board of Directors for American Academy of Cerebral Palsy & Developmental Medicine
- 2008 Named Chairman of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Virginia
- 2004 awarded Alfred R. Shands, Jr Endowed Chair, at the University of Virginia
- 2000 admitted to American Orthopaedic Association: "Membership reflects leadership in orthopaedic surgery through teaching & research"
- 2017-2018 Best Doctors in America® List
- 2000 Original Research Award: Southern Medical Association: "For outstanding clinical research" in Southern Region
- 2000 for study entitled: "Relationships Among Musculoskeletal Impairment, Function and Perceived Health Status in Spastic CP: A multi-center collaboration"
- 1996 for study on: "Relationship of Gait Analysis to Gross Motor Function in Cerebral Palsy"