Mary E. Jensen, MD
- Neuroradiology , General Neurological Surgery Appointment
- Neurological Surgery , Radiology and Medical Imaging
- ABMS Certification:
- Diagnostic Radiology, 1987
- Research Interests:
Treatment of vascular lesions with detachable coils, stent technology, percutaneous injection of methylmethacrylate in the treatment of vertebral body compression fractures, outcomes of medical treatments, surgery and Gamma knife treatment
- Clinical Practice:
- Arteriovenous Malformations (AVMs), Cerebral (Brain or Intracranial) Aneurysm, Subarachnoid Hemorrhage, Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) (Mini-stroke), Ischemic Stroke, Balloon Kyphoplasty, Angiography, Vertebroplasty, Carotid Artery Stenosis, Endovascular Embolization, Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia (HHT), Neuroradiology, Stroke, Spine, Skull Base Conditions, Cerebral Angiography, Endovascular Coiling
Mary Jensen, MD, is a leader in neurointerventional radiology and neurointerventional radiology research. She has been the director of interventional neuroradiology at UVA since 1998 and the director and vice chair for operations in the Department of Radiology at the University of Virginia since 2009.
Dr. Jensen specializes in performing minimally invasive treatments for neurological conditions such as brain aneurysms, stroke, carotid artery disease, intracranial vascular stenosis, brain arteriovenous malformations (AVM) and fistulas (AVF) and spinal disorders, including spinal fractures, arteriovenous malformations and arteriovenous fistulas. She helped pioneer various treatments for cerebral aneurysms, including endovascular coiling techniques. Dr. Jensen also helped develop the first percutaneous vertebroplasty technique in the U.S. used to stabilize spinal compression fractures. She has published over 100 peer-reviewed papers, presented more than 280 invited lectures, participated in multiple clinical trials and has trained numerous fellows who have gone on to practice at some of the top hospitals in the country.
Dr. Jensen received her medical training at the Medical College of Virginia and served in the Medical Core of the Virginia Air National Guard for over 14 years. She is an avid runner and enjoys flower gardening at home and helping out in the garden at her son’s school.
- 2011-2018 Best Doctors in America® List
- Medical College of Virginia, 1982
- Diagnostic Radiology, Medical College of Virginia
- Diagnostic Neuroradiology, Medical College of Virginia; Interventional Neuroradiology, University of California at Los Angeles