Mary Lee Vance, MD
- Endocrinology and Metabolism , General Neurological Surgery Appointment
- Medicine , Neurological Surgery
- ABMS Certification:
- Internal Medicine
- Research Interests:
Growth hormone regulation, pituitary disorders
- Clinical Practice:
- Acromegaly, Adrenocortical Carcinoma, Cushing's Disease, Pituitary Adenomas, Craniopharyngioma, Non-Functioning Adenoma, Pituitary Cysts, Prolactinoma, TSH Producing Adenoma, Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumor, Neurocutaneous Disorders, Diabetes and Metabolism, Pituitary
I was born in Bristol, VA, but grew up in several places, including Germany and Arkansas (I was in second grade with former President Bill Clinton). I spent most of my earlier years on the bayous of Louisiana and in New Orleans. I graduated from Loyola University, New Orleans, obtained a master’s degree in biology at UVA and attended LSU Medical School in New Orleans, LA.
After graduation from medical school, I completed an internship and residency in internal medicine at Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, TX. I came to UVA in 1980 for a fellowship in endocrinology and metabolism and joined the faculty in 1983. I was an associate director the NIH funded general clinical research for several years and conducted many research studies in new hormone treatments and in patients with several types of pituitary diseases.
Currently, I work with patients with pituitary disorders. I served on the Jefferson Board of Aging with the goal of providing necessary services to our elderly population. I support the Charlottesville Free Clinic, the Charlottesville Shelter for Help in Emergency and Planned Parenthood. My hobbies include reading, playing with my English bulldog and participating in activities with friends and family.
- 2011-2018 Best Doctors in America® List
- Louisiana State University, 1977
- Internal Medicine, Baylor University
- Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Virginia