Max M Weder, MD
- ABMS Certification:
- Internal Medicine; Critical Care Medicine; Pulmonary Disease
- Clinical Practice:
- Bronchoscopy, Pulmonary Function Tests, Pulmonary & Respiratory Care, Lung Transplant
- French , German
- Associate Professor of Medicine
Max Weder, MD, is the medical director of the UVA lung transplant program. He grew up in West Berlin when Berlin was still a divided city, and started medical school there a few weeks before the Berlin Wall came down. During medical school he met his wife-to-be, Uta Erdburgger, and a professor recommended them both to the internal medicine program at Tulane University in New Orleans. After completing their residencies at Tulane, both moved to UNC Chapel Hill, where Dr. Weder trained in pulmonary, critical care and lung transplant. The couple returned to Germany for a few years, then came back to the U.S. and joined the faculty at UVA. With the lung transplantation team, Dr. Weder has the opportunity to see patients go from debilitating end-stage lung disease back to a normal life, a transformation he finds highly rewarding.
Dr. Weder and his wife have triplet boys. Despite a very busy professional and family life, he tries to keep up with friends. He loves listening to classical music, closely follows international news and politics, and recently took up woodworking.
- 2017-2018 Best Doctors in America® List
- Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany, 1996
- Internal Medicine, Tulane University
- Pulmonary Critical Care, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill