- ABMS Certification:
- Internal Medicine; Hematology; Medical Oncology
- Research Interests:
Novel therapeutics for lymphoma, CLL, and other hematologic malignancies with a focus in mantle cell lymphoma.
- Clinical Practice:
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia, Lymphoma, Blood Cancers & Disorders, Waldenstrom Macroglobulinemia
Physician Lead, Cancer Service Line, UVA Health System
Associate Director, Clinical Affairs, UVA Cancer Center
Dr. Michael E. Williams is the Byrd S. Leavell professor of medicine and professor of pathology at UVA School of Medicine.
Dr. Williams received his MD from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and a master of science from the Harvard School of Public Health. He completed his medicine residency, chief residency and fellowship in hematology/oncology at the UVA Health in Charlottesville.
Dr. Williams’ research interests are in novel therapeutic approaches for non-Hodgkin lymphomas, mantle cell lymphoma and CLL, including targeted agents and immunotherapeutics. He serves on the scientific advisory board of the Lymphoma Research Foundation, and is a member of the European Mantle Cell Lymphoma Network and the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Lymphoma Core Committee. He is a former chair of the Hematology Subspecialty Board of the American Board of Internal Medicine.
He participates regularly in national and international programs devoted to education and research in lymphoma, CLL and other hematologic malignancies.
- 2021 Mantle Cell Lymphoma Leadership Award, Lymphoma Research Foundation
- 2019 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; Honorable Mention, Hematology/Oncology
- 2018 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; First Place, Hematology/Oncology
- 2011-2020 Best Doctors in America® List
- 2015 One of America's Top Cancer Doctors, Newsweek®
- Top Doctors in America
- America’s Top Doctors for Cancer
- University of Cincinnati, 1979
- Internal Medicine, University of Virginia
- Hematology, University of Virginia; Medical Oncology, University of Virginia