Nicolas M Ortiz, MD
- General Urology Appointment
- Primary Location:
- ABMS Certification:
- Clinical Practice:
- Erectile Dysfunction, Penile Implant, Peyronie's Disease, Male Urinary Incontinence, Urology, Urinary Incontinence
- Assistant Professor
Nicolas M. Ortiz, MD, is a board-certified urologist with expertise in reconstruction and restoration of function in patients who experience problems such as erectile dysfunction, incontinence and scarring of the genitourinary tract. His practice is focused on male patients but he also takes care of patients of any gender that may need bladder or ureteral reconstruction.
He specializes in the following conditions and procedures:
· Male urethral stricture
· Erectile dysfunction
· Male urinary incontinence
· Peyronie’s disease
· Penile prosthesis
· Male sling
· Artificial urinary sphincter
· Buried penis
· Ureteral stricture
· Urologic reconstruction
Dr. Ortiz was born and raised in Colombia, South America. He moved to the United States to pursue his medical education. After completing his urological training, he served in the United States Army for four years. He then pursued additional fellowship training in genitourinary reconstruction before joining the UVA Department of Urology in 2020. He cares for patients in the inpatient and outpatient setting and supervises and teaches residents who are learning to become urologists.
His research interests include optimizing surgical outcomes for prosthetic and reconstructive surgery and the use of minimally invasive techniques, such as robotic-assisted surgery, in urologic reconstruction.
He is a member of the following organizations:
· Society of Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgeons
· American Urological Association
· Sexual Medicine Society of North America
· Society of Urologic Prosthetic Surgeons
· Société Internationale d’Urologie
· International Society for Sexual Medicine
· Society of Government Service Urologists
Outside of work, he enjoys hiking, skiing and traveling with his wife. He volunteers for the Urology Care Foundation creating and translating patient information documents in Spanish.
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
- University of Miami- Jackson Memorial Hospital
- University of Texas Southwestern