- ABMS Certification:
- Research Interests:
Kidney stones, kidney cancer, surgical education, robotic surgery
- Clinical Practice:
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), Kidney Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Pyelonephritis (Kidney Infection), Nephrolithiasis (Kidney Stones), Cystectomy, Cystoscopy, Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy, Hydronephrosis, Nephrectomy, Prostatectomy, Robot-Assisted Urologic Procedures, GreenLight Laser Therapy, Urethritis, Urologic Cancer, Urology
I graduated Mount Sinai School of Medicine in 1984, and after a one-year internship, joined the active duty military as a medical officer in the United States Army from 1985 - 2006. My residency in Urology was completed at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in 1995. In 1998, I completed a fellowship in Endourology, specializing in minimally invasive surgery for kidney stones and laparoscopy, at the University of California, San Francisco.
I returned to the Washington, DC area to join the teaching staff at Walter Reed, and was promoted to Colonel in 2003 and became Chief of the Urology Service in 2004. I retired from active duty in 2006, and joined the teaching staff at the University of Virginia.
Since joining the staff at the University, I have continued to cultivate my interests in daVinci robotic surgery, kidney stone disease, and cutting edge minimally invasive procedures, such as percutaneous cryotherapy for the treatment of kidney tumors. My research interests include kidney stones, robotic surgery, telesurgery (cooperative surgery done by surgeons located in different geographic areas), and surgical education. Additional procedures I perform at UVA are greenlight photovaporization of the prostate, urolift, robotic prostatectomy, bladder stone removal, ureteral reimplant, ureteroureterostomy, ureteroscopy and percutaneous renal ablation.
- University of Virginia Award for Clinical Excellence, 2009
- Academy Distinguished Educators, Univ. of Virginia, 2009
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1984
- Urology, Walter Reed Army Medical Center
- Endourology, University of California, San Francisco