Paola Gehrig, MD
- Gynecologic Oncology
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Primary Location:
- ABMS Certification:
- American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology (Gynecologic Oncology); American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology (Obstetrics and Gynecology)
- Clinical Practice:
- Cervical Cancer Treatment, Endometrial Cancer (Uterine), Vaginal Cancer, Vulvar Cancer, Ovarian Cancer Treatment, Gynecologic Cancer
Chair of Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Paola Gehrig, MD, is a gynecologic oncologist and chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. She came to UVA after a long career at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, where she was most recently appointed the executive medical director of the North Carolina Women’s Hospital.
In her practice as a gynecologic oncologist, Dr. Gehrig’s focus is providing compassionate, patient-centered care that respects each individual’s goals. “Every person travels their cancer journey in a unique way and under individual circumstances,” she says.
Dr. Gehrig was born in Salamanca, Spain, and came to Staunton as a child before settling with her family in Florida. She attended the University of Florida in Gainesville for both undergraduate and medical school. She completed her OB/GYN residency at UVA, followed by a gynecologic oncology fellowship at UNC Chapel Hill.
For as long as she can remember, Dr. Gehrig wanted to be a doctor. Her inspiration: her mother. “My mom is a physician and was a wonderful role model for me all of my life,” she says.
Dr. Gehrig is fluent in Spanish. She loves to travel and became interested in bread baking during the pandemic.
- University of Florida College of Medicine, 1993
- University of Virginia
- University of North Carolina