Dr. Smith was born and raised in Fauquier County, VA. He attended the University of Virginia for college, medical school and general surgery residency. During his residency, he also completed a two-year postgraduate research fellowship at UVA. He went to Columbia University in New York to further specialize in endocrine surgery. Following his endocrine surgery fellowship, he returned to join the faculty at the University of Virginia as an assistant professor of surgery.
Dr. Smith specializes in endocrine surgery, treating benign and malignant diseases of the thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal glands and pancreas. He performs some thyroid and parathyroid procedures using local anesthetic, and he performs some endocrine surgical procedures on an outpatient basis. He offers the latest in minimally invasive approaches when appropriate for the patient. He works closely with the other physicians involved in a patient's care, including endocrinologists, primary care physicians, radiologists, pathologists and other surgeons to offer thoughtful, multidisciplinary and patient-centered care.
- UVA Graduate Medical Education Master Educator Award
- UVA Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching
- UVA Academy of Distinguished Educators
- Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award
- Skip Warren Chief Resident Teaching and Leadership Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society