- ABMS Certification:
- Internal Medicine; Cardiovascular Disease
- Research Interests:
Technology assessment, development of practice guidelines and outcomes, history of medical education
- Clinical Practice:
- Angina, Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries), Atrial Fibrillation (Afib), Coronary Artery Disease, Heart Attack, Heart Failure, High Blood Pressure (Hypertension), Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD), Artery Disease, Tricuspid Valve Disease
Dr. Gibson received his MD degree from UVA in 1975. He completed his residency in internal medicine and fellowship in cardiovascular medicine at UVA. In 1981, he joined the School of Medicine faculty as an assistant professor and was promoted to professor in 1987. In 1992, he was named the Lockhart B. McGuire Professor of Medicine.
During his 30 years as a member of the clinical staff, Gibson has served on over 50 Health System committees and task forces. Additionally, he's been involved in a variety of community and university-wide activities. He served as both vice president and president of the clinical staff.
He has authored or co-authored more than 300 publications.
Numerous teaching awards and honors, including:
- the SCHEV Outstanding Faculty award (1996)
- an ACP Laureate award (2003)
- Mastership recognition from the American College of Physicians (2006)
- University of Virginia, 1975
- Internal Medicine, University of Virginia
- Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Virginia