Spencer C Payne, MD
- Rhinology and Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- Research Interests:
Chronic sinusitis; Mechanisms of alcohol sensitivity in Aspirin Exacerbated Respiratory Disease
- Clinical Practice:
- Cystic Fibrosis, Deviated Nasal Septum, Sinus Headache, Epistaxis (Nosebleed), Pituitary Adenomas, Sinusitis, Snoring, Nasal Polyp, Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT), Pituitary, Head and Neck Cancer
- Associate Professor
Spencer Payne, MD, was born and raised in Poughkeepsie, NY. He’s the oldest of four kids and has a fraternal twin brother. After graduating from medical school at Stony Brook University in New York, Dr. Payne completed residency training in otolaryngology – head and neck surgery at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit where he received the outstanding resident award. He completed fellowship training at the Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA, in rhinology and sinus surgery, with a focus on endoscopic sinus and skull base surgery.
In 2007, Dr. Payne started at UVA. He’s the associate residency program director for the Department of Otolaryngology and serves as the department quality officer and clinic medical director. In addition, he holds an elected leadership position within the American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery and sits on the executive council of the Virginia Society of Otolaryngology.
Dr. Payne is married with four kids: Two girls and two boys. Outside of work his interests include computers, technology, hiking and home brewing beer and kombucha.
- 2013-2020 Best Doctors in America® List
- State University of New York at Stony Brook School of Medicine, 2001
- Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Henry Ford Hospital
- Rhinology and Sinus Surgery, Lahey Clinic