Stephen V Early, MD
- Otolaryngology: Pediatric, General Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Appointment
- Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, Pediatrics
- ABMS Certification:
- Research Interests:
Obstructive sleep apnea in children and adults, correction techniques in laryngomalacia, vagal nerve stimulation for intractable seizures
- Clinical Practice:
- Cleft Lip/Cleft Palate- Pediatric, Hearing Loss, Otitis Media (Middle Ear Infection), Epistaxis (Nosebleed), Otitis Externa (Swimmer's Ear)- Pediatric, Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT), Pediatric ENT, Pediatric Audiology, Sleep Disorders- Pediatric
- Associate Professor
Stephen Early, MD, is the director of pediatric and general otolaryngology – head and neck surgery. He is board-certified in otolaryngology. An assistant professor, Dr. Early is the 2013 recipient of the Robley Dunglison Award, which recognizes excellence in teaching. He has also been invited on two occasions to address students at the University of Virginia School of Medicine’s Baccalaureate Service.
Dr. Early was born and raised in Bristol, TN, and attended Bridgewater College for his undergraduate degree. He received his medical degree from the University of Virginia, where he was president of the Mulholland Society, an organization dedicated to promoting the interests and concerns of UVA Medical School students. Dr. Early also completed a residency in otolaryngology –head and neck surgery at UVA before joining private practice in Orlando, FL, where he was chairman of Department of Otolaryngology at Orlando Regional Healthcare Systems.
In 2001, Dr. Early returned to UVA, joining the faculty of the Division of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. In addition to his clinical practice and teaching roles, he is actively conducting research on tracheal transplantation and microflap repair of congenital laryngeal cleft.
An avid sailor and former Scoutmaster, Dr. Early has sailed the Bahamas and Caribbean and enjoys backpacking, fly-fishing and gardening.
- 2019 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; Third Place, Otolaryngology
- 2018 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; Second Place, Otolaryngology (ENT)
- 2011-2012, 2017-2020 Best Doctors in America® List
- University of Virginia, 1984
- Otolaryngology, University of Virginia