- ABMS Certification:
- Obstetrics and Gynecology; Gynecologic Oncology
- Research Interests:
Gynecologic malignancies|Obesity related cancers|Clinical trials|Hereditary breast and ovarian cancers
- Clinical Practice:
- Cervical Cancer, Endometrial (Uterine) Cancer, Vaginal Cancer, Vulvar Cancer, Uterine Sarcoma, Gynecologic Cancer, Women's Health, OB/Gyn, High-Risk Ovarian Cancer, High-Risk Breast Cancer
Director, Gynecologic Oncology Division; Director, High Risk Breast and Ovarian Cancer Clinic
Dr. Susan Modesitt is the director of the Gynecologic Oncology Division and is the Richard N. and Louise R. Crockett Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Virginia. She also serves as the Director of the High-Risk Breast and Ovarian Cancer Clinic at UVA. Dr. Modesitt received her medical degree from the University of Virginia School of Medicine in Charlottesville, VA. She completed residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of North Carolina Hospitals in Chapel Hill, NC, and completed her fellowship in Gynecologic Oncology at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, TX. She was on the faculty at the University of Kentucky before returning to UVA in 2006.
Some of Dr. Modesitt’s current responsibilities include being the principal investigator for the NRG Oncology Group for the University of Virginia, as well as serving on the national Developmental Therapeutics Committee and the Data Safety Monitoring Board. She was the program director for the 2017 annual meeting of the Society for Gynecologic Oncology (SGO) and also serves on the SGO’s Board of Directors. Dr. Modesitt is also active in the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists as a prior member of the Genetics Committee and faculty for ongoing CME Genomics courses. She is currently a member of the editorial board for the Gynecologic Oncology and Gynecologic Oncology Case Reports.
Dr. Modesitt has published extensively on gynecologic cancers and her current research focuses primarily on novel therapeutics in clinical trials, obesity related cancers and hereditary cancers. She is a full member of Society for Gynecologic Oncology and is a fellow of both the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the American College of Surgeons. She competes in triathlons in her spare time
- Best Doctors in America® List since 2009
- Top Doctors and Top Cancer Doctors® by Castle Connolly since 2012
- Exceptional Women in Medicine Award, Castle Connolly, since 2017
- University of Virginia School of Medicine, 1995
- Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of North Carolina
- Gynecologic Oncology, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX