Susan E Kirk, MD
- Endocrinology and Metabolism , Maternal - Fetal Medicine
- Medicine , Obstetrics and Gynecology
- ABMS Certification:
- Internal Medicine, 1990; Endocrinology and Metabolism, 1995
- Research Interests:
Diabetes in pregnancy, placental growth hormone
- Clinical Practice:
- Thyroid Cancer, Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes, Gestational Diabetes, Diabetes and Metabolism, Transgender Services
Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education
- Associate Professor of Internal Medicine and Obstetrics and Gynecology
Susan Kirk, MD, is an endocrinologist specializing in the care of patients with high-risk pregnancy, especially women with underlying diabetes or thyroid disease. She also manages hormone-affirming therapy for transgender adults.
She is the associate dean for Graduate Medical Education, overseeing all clinical training for the doctors in that program. Dr. Kirk is also a member of the Institutional Review Committee for the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. She is board-certified in both internal medicine and endocrinology and metabolism.
Born and raised in Riverside, NJ, Dr. Kirk completed her undergraduate studies at Douglass Residential College, the women’s college of Rutgers University, and earned her medical degree from Rutgers Medical School. She completed her residency in internal medicine at the University of North Carolina and her fellowship in endocrinology and metabolism at the University of Virginia. She joined the UVA faculty in 1994.
Married and the mother of five adult children, Dr. Kirk is an avid birder and the backup vocalist and keyboardist for Second Opinion, a 1970s cover band.
- 2015-2018 Best Doctors in America® List
- Rutgers Medical School, 1987
- Internal Medicine, University of North Carolina
- Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Virginia