Timothy B. Rooney, MD
- ABMS Certification:
- American Board of Radiology, Diagnostic Radiology
- Research Interests:
Supine breast MRI; Global health; Radiology education
- Clinical Practice:
- Breast Cancer in Men, Breast Cancer Screening, 3D Mammogram, Breast Ultrasound
- Associate Professor
Timothy B. Rooney, MD, is the division lead of breast imaging in the UVA Department of Radiology and Medical Imaging. He is a board-certified diagnostic radiologist with fellowship training in breast imaging.
Dr. Rooney uses the most advanced imaging tools to uncover breast cancer — second only to skin cancer as the most commonly diagnosed cancer. Dr. Rooney specializes in breast MRI, 3D breast imaging, and breast MRI-guided biopsy.
Born in Salinas, California, Dr. Rooney grew up in many locations on the west and east coasts. He attended Dartmouth College, where he studied earth sciences and was a member of the lightweight men’s rowing crew team. After college, he joined the U.S. Navy and became a fighter/adversary pilot, before returning to medical school at Dartmouth. The second half of his Navy career was spent as a physician/radiologist.
After retiring from the Navy, he worked as a radiologist in Europe, where he cared for our deployed military and their families. Before joining UVA in 2021, he worked as a breast radiologist, assistant program director, and director of global health at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, New Hampshire.
Dr. Rooney and his wife, Lissy, an elementary school teacher and literacy interventionist, have two grown daughters. “My family and I are thrilled to live and work in such a vibrant community. I look forward to investigating the cultural opportunities in and around Charlottesville, hiking in Shenandoah National Park, and rowing on the Rivanna Reservoir.”
- Nominated and presented at Geisel Academy of Faculty Master Educators, 2018
- Army Commendation Medal, Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, Germany, superior performance of duties, 2011
- Leadership Award, “The 1st or 2nd year resident who best exemplifies leadership qualities," Naval Medical Center, San Diego, 2005
- Transitional Intern of the Year, Naval Medical Center, San Diego, 2002
- Elected to Alpha Omega Alpha, Dartmouth Medical School Chapter, 2000
- Navy Commendation medals (3), Navy Achievement medal (1), Superior performance of duties, 1994, 1997, 2003, 2009
- Dartmouth Medical School, 2001
- Naval Medical Center, San Diego