- Research Interests:
A focus on improving clinical outcomes in the immediate postoperative period, surgical infections, prevention of surgical site infections and surgical education.
- Clinical Practice:
- Anal Cancer, Anal Fissure, Colon Cancer, Rectal Cancer, Colon Polyps, Constipation, Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (FAP), Fecal Incontinence (Bowel Leakage), Groin Hernia, Hemorrhoids, Hiatal Hernia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), Ulcerative Colitis, Rectovaginal Fistula, Colonoscopy, Colorectal Surgery, Flexible Sigmoidoscopy, Ileal Pouch Surgery (J-Pouch), Small Intestine Cancer, Crohn's Disease, Endoscopy
- Associate Professor
Dr. Hedrick is originally from Huntington, WV. She received both her undergraduate and medical degrees from the University of Kentucky, where she graduated valedictorian of her medical school class in 2002. She completed her general surgery training and a two-year postgraduate research fellowship at the University of Virginia where she received numerous awards for research and medical education. She then completed a fellowship in colon and rectal surgery at the University of Pennsylvania.
Dr. Hedrick specializes in the treatment of colorectal conditions such as colorectal cancer and inflammatory bowel disease. Her special focus is on minimally invasive surgery, including robotic surgery, laparoscopy, transanal endoscopic microsurgery and colonoscopy.
Dr. Hedrick earned a Masters of Clinical Research from the University of Virginia. She has won numerous national awards for research, and she serves as the co-director of the Enhanced Recovery after Surgery Program at the University of Virginia, which has been featured by the American College of Surgeons, the Wall Street Journal and U.S News and World Reports. She has made many national and international research presentations of her research and has numerous peer-reviewed publications.
- 2019 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; Second Place, Surgery – Colon and Rectal
- 2018 Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley Magazine; Third Place, Surgery: Colon and Rectal
- 2015 Best Paper, American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Annual Meeting
- 2014 Charles Brown Award in Patient Care Quality
- 2012–2014 Regional Top Doctor, Castle Connolly/US News and World Reports
- 2013 University of Virginia Dean’s Clinical Excellence Award
- 2009 Association Women Surgeons Outstanding Resident Award
- 2009, 2007 Mulholland Resident Teaching Award
- 2007 Academic Achievement Award
- American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Career Development Award
- American Medical Women's Association Glasgow Memorial Award
- William Dion Outstanding Intern Award
- Curtis Tribble Award for Medical Student Education
- Society of Critical Care Medicine Citation Award Finalist
- Skip Warren Award for Chief Resident
- University of Kentucky 2002
- University of Virginia
- University of Pennsylvania