- ABMS Certification:
- Internal Medicine; Nephrology
- Research Interests:
Biomarker of endothelial damage, CMV infection in transplantation
- Clinical Practice:
- Kidney Disease, Kidney Care
- Associate Professor
Uta Erdbruegger, MD, is an internal medicine doctor and associate professor of medicine who specializes in caring for patients with kidney disease. She is an active researcher and has a particular interest in the role of extracellular vesicles (particles released by cells) in vascular and renal disorders.
Originally from Germany, Erdbruegger received her undergraduate degree from Freie University Berlin, where she graduated magna cum laude. Erdbruegger then moved to the U.S. to complete residency training in internal medicine at Tulane University, followed by a nephrology fellowship at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Erdbruegger is married to UVA pulmonologist Max Weder, MD. The couple has triplet boys. Together they enjoy exploring the outdoors, biking, hiking, and visiting big cities.
- 2018 The Treasurer of the International Society of Extracellular Vesicles
2017 Department of Medicine Employee of the Year for Excellence in Research
- Freie University Berlin, 1996
- Internal Medicine, Tulane University of Louisiana
- Nephrology, University of North Carolina Hospitals