- ABMS Certification:
- Internal Medicine, 1985; Infectious Diseases, 1988
- Research Interests:
- Clinical Practice:
- Meningitis (Bacterial and Viral)- Pediatric, Gonorrhea, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, HIV & AIDS, Influenza, Lyme Disease, Onychomycosis, Bone Infection (Osteomyelitis), Tuberculosis (TB), Genital Warts, Pneumonia, MRSA, Infectious Diseases, STD Testing
Dr. Petri is the chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases and International Health at UVA, and head of the Infectious Diseases Training Program for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. He attends in general internal medicine and in the subspecialty of infectious diseases. He has a special interest in international health and in the study of C. difficile, and his substantial research program is supported by the National Institutes of Health and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Dr. Petri was born and raised primarily in Washington, D.C., but spent his third grade year in London with his family, a formative experience that he credits as being partly responsible for the international focus of his research. He attended the University of Wisconsin – Madison, moving to Charlottesville in 1976 to start medical and graduate school at UVA. After obtaining his MD and PhD in microbiology, he married his medical school classmate Mary Ann McDonald and they moved to Cleveland for residency training at Case Western Reserve University. There, Dr. Petri completed an internship and residency in internal medicine, followed by a return to Charlottesville in 1985 for an infectious diseases fellowship. He has been here ever since.
He and Mary Ann have five grown children, and as they have left the nest his interests have shifted from coaching their soccer teams (36 seasons) to a return to music (trombone) and a new interest in running, including training for the Chicago Marathon.
- 2015-2018 Best Doctors in America® List
- University of Virginia, 1982
- Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Cleveland
- Infectious Diseases, University of Virginia