- ABMS Certification:
- Internal Medicine; Pulmonary Disease
- Research Interests:
COPD|chronic bronchitis, emphysema, asthma, allergy, lung cancer, pulmonary inflammation and remodeling
- Clinical Practice:
- Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA), Lung Cancer, Malignant Mesothelioma, Chronic Bronchitis, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Emphysema, Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC), Indeterminate Lung Nodules, Small Cell Lung Cancer, Bronchoscopy, Pulmonary Function Tests, Pulmonary & Respiratory Care
- Associate Professor
Yun Michael Shim, MD, is the director of pulmonary rehabilitation and director of the Pulmonary Function Testing Lab at UVA. He diagnoses and treats patients with respiratory diseases such as asthma, cystic fibrosis and allergies.
Dr. Shim graduated from UVA and earned his medical degree from the Medical College of Virginia in Richmond. After completing a residency in internal medicine at Northwestern University, he moved to New Haven, Connecticut, for a fellowship in pulmonary disease and critical care medicine at Yale University, followed by a fellowship in advanced asthma and obstructive airway disease. He joined UVA in 2004. His research interests include obstructive lung diseases (asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), lung cancer, and metabolomics and drug discovery.
- 2017-2018 Best Doctors in America® List
- 2015 Bedside Manner Award, Our Health Magazine; Third place
- Medical College of Virginia, 1998
- Internal Medicine, Northwestern University
- Pulmonary and Critical Care, Yale University