- ABMS Certification:
- Interventional & Diagnostic Radiology
- Research Interests:
Cancer: Interventional Radiology
- Clinical Practice:
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), Colon Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Liver Cancer, Pulmonary Embolism, Ablation, Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), Focused Ultrasound for Fibroids, Mesenteric Arterial Disease, Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD), Uterine Artery Embolization, Vascular Malformations, Gastrointestinal Cancer, HHT, Interventional Radiology, Prostate Health
Dr. Haskal is the Director of both the Prostate Artery Embolization (PAE) and Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia (HHT) Clinics and Programs at UVA.
Dr. Haskal is a tenured professor of radiology and medical imaging in the Division of Interventional Radiology at the University of Virginia School of Medicine.
Dr. Haskal received his M.D. at Boston University School of Medicine and completed residency and fellowship at the University of California, San Francisco.
As a sought after teacher and educator, Dr. Haskal has given more than 500 invited lectures worldwide and been awarded numerous honorary fellowships, national, international and societal awards for leadership, service and research excellence. He has designed, participated or led more than 40 research trials. Dr. Haskal has also published more than 400 scientific manuscripts, chapters, review, abstracts and editorials in journals ranging from Human Gene Therapy and the New England Journal of Medicine, to Circulation, JVIR, Radiology, Hepatology and more. The AHA Guidelines documented he co-chaired and co-wrote has received more than 2,700 citations.
Additionally, Dr. Haskal co-founded the world’s largest scientific congress on Embolization (“GEST”) and led the Society of Interventional Radiology’s (SIR) Annual Scientific Meeting. His published research has spanned oncology, portal hypertension, venous disease, liver transplantation, peripheral vascular disease, uterine fibroid embolization, interventional oncology, human gene therapy, hemodialysis-related matters and more.
Dr. Haskal is the editor in chief of two peer reviewed Journals, Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology (JVIR) and Gastrointestinal Intervention. As the the editor of the JVIR since 2011, Dr. Haskal has doubled its manuscript submissions, raised its impact factor and introduced numerous print, electronic and new media offerings. He serves in many societal leadership and committee positions — among them the SIR’s Executive Council/Board of Trustees and Research Foundation Board, chaired or served in numerous national committees including within the American Heart Association, American College of Cardiology and American College of Radiology. Dr. Haskal has served as the President of two Societies, the International Society of Neurovascular Disease (2014-2015) and the Society of Gastrointestinal Intervention (2014-2016). He has been near-continuously named to national Top Doctors lists since 1996.
- 2015-2020 Best Doctors in America® List
- 2014 Leaders in Innovation award, Society of Interventional Radiology Research Foundation
- Boston University School of Medicine 1986
- University of California-San Francisco (Diagnostic Radiology)
- University of California-San Francisco (Vascular& Interventional Radiology)