Are you a patient?
Tell your specialty care provider you are interested in telemedicine.
Are you a provider?
If you are interested in partnering with UVA to provide specialty care to your patients, email us.
Are you a current partner with UVA?
Submit a telemedicine consult request (PDF).
What to Expect
The telemedicine process typically follows these steps:
- Your local physician or health clinic and your UVA specialist will work together to decide on the best treatment plan for you.
- Your provider will need to submit your medical data, X-ray images and other important information directly to UVA for review.
- We will then schedule an appointment for you at your local medical center.
- During your appointment, you will talk to the physician online, using a TV screen and camera.
- After the appointment, we will fax your healthcare provider a report with follow-up information.
You'll need to submit these forms before a telemedicine appointment:
Billing & Insurance
Most insurers, including Medicare and Virginia Medicaid, cover the cost of telemedicine.
Virginia Medicaid reimburses for telemedicine services provided anywhere in the Commonwealth. Patients with out-of-state Medicaid can still be scheduled, but must have authorization for services from their Medicaid program. It is best to check with your individuall insurance provider regarding coverage for telemedicine services.
Medicare reimburses for telemedicine services provided to patients from rural areas only (designated as Health Professional Shortage Areas.) Medicare does not reimburse telemedicine services provided in urban areas.
Explore your eligibility with the Medicare Eligibility Tool.