UVA Health Prince William Auxiliary volunteers make a positive impact every day for our patients, their families, and health staff.
Our volunteers help us provide the best patient care experience at each of our facilities.
Volunteer Opportunities in Haymarket & Manassas
Our volunteers are compassionate and dedicated. This diverse group of individuals generously contribute thousands of hours annually. They help improve the health and well-being of the community at these five locations:
- UVA Health Prince William Medical Center, 8700 Sudley Road, Manassas VA 20110
- UVA Health Haymarket Medical Center 15225 Heathcote Blvd., Haymarket, VA 20169
- UVA Health Caton Merchant House 9201 Portner Ave., Manassas, VA 20110
- UVA Health Cancer Care Gainesville, 7901 Lake Manassas Drive, Gainesville, VA
- UVA Health Prince William Auxiliary Thrift Store, 9215 Center Street, Manassas, VA 20110
Grow Through Volunteering
Volunteering is a way to help those in need. But also allows you to grow by:
- Acquiring new skills
- Gaining knowledge about the healthcare field
- Discovering new interests
- Building lasting relationships
Be Part of UVA Health Prince William Auxiliary
Our volunteers become members of the UVA Health Prince William Auxiliary. The Auxiliary’s mission is to provide:
- Needed volunteer services to patients and staff
- Goodwill between the community and the hospital system
- Fundraising to benefit patient care
Volunteer Opportunities for You
Whatever your interests or skills, there's a volunteer position for you. Volunteer options include:
- Providing compassion and support to patients
- Escorting patients and visitors to their destinations
- Providing clerical assistance
- Delivering magazines to patients
- Assisting nursing staff with non-medical tasks
- Working in the gift shops and thrift store
In addition to regular assignments, volunteers can also help the Auxiliary with many fundraising events throughout the year that help support patient care.
Volunteer Service Areas
Our volunteers provide assistance at many different departments and areas. Opportunities vary by department, based on needs and location. Here are just a few of the service areas that greatly benefit from volunteer assistance:
- Guest Services/Way-Finding
- Surgical Services
- Emergency Room
- Physical Therapy
- Gift Shop/Retail
- Thrift Store/Retail
- Patient Related Services
- Fundraising /Community Outreach
- Pet Therapy
Benefits of Volunteering
- Free Flu Shots (18 years & older)
- Free coffee or tea before or after your shift
- 10% discount in dining room, gift shops & thrift store
- Develop new skills
- Bring fun and fulfillment to your life
- Good for your mind and body
- Have a newfound sense of purpose
- Gain a natural sense of accomplishment by helping others
- Boost your immune system!
- Make new friends!
- Support your community
- Earn a college scholarship
- Join Healthcare Systems Federal Credit Union
- Attend 2 luncheon meetings a year
- Annual Service Awards
Requirements & Process for Volunteering
- Be at least 16 years old.
- Complete and submit the appropriate online volunteer application.
- Be interviewed by a volunteer services staff member.
- Complete a background check (required only for volunteers over 18)
- Complete an online and in-person hospital orientation.
- Get role-specific training in your assigned service area.
- Commit to work one 3-hour shift per week for one year of continuous service (except for College Summer and Summer Teen Programs)
- Purchase a uniform for $20.
- Get a flu vaccine (During flu season, volunteers over 18 can get a free flu vaccine through employee health.)
You also need to send us:
- Completed TB screening questionnaire
- Proof of MMR & varicella vaccines (or have labs drawn free of charge to determine immunity, must be 18 to have labs drawn)
*Each volunteer program may have specific requirements.