Being severely overweight can cause diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and joint problems. If exercise and diet alone have failed to help, weight-loss surgery offers an effective way to lose weight and improve your health.
UVA has been a leader in weight-loss surgery for more than two decades. We:
- Have performed more than 3,000 successful surgeries,
- Take the most serious obesity cases, including patients with a body mass index (BMI) of 60 or higher.
- Are designated a comprehensive center by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP).
Are You Obese?
Find out now with our simple body-mass index (BMI) calculator.
Types of Weight-Loss Procedures
At UVA, we have the most experienced bariatric surgery team in Central Virginia. All of these procedures shrink the size of your stomach to allow the loss of life-threatening weight.
- Gastric bypass, the most commonly performed weight-loss surgery in the nation
- Gastric banding, a lower-cost, minimally invasive approach
- Gastric sleeve, an increasingly popular approach
- Gastric balloon, a new alternative from the makers of Lap-Band
We're also the only hospital in the area performing gastric sleeve surgery. This increasingly common procedure is less intensive than gastric bypass surgery and can be nearly as effective for many patients.
Laparoscopy, where operations are performed through small incisions in the abdomen, allows us to perform these procedures with as little pain and as few complications as possible.
In this outpatient, non-surgical procedure, your doctor inserts a balloon through your mouth and into your stomach. Once inside, your doctor fills the balloon with saline, which expands it to the size of a grapefruit. The balloon helps you learn portion control and healthy eating habits. After six months, your doctor removes the balloon through a second outpatient procedure.
Benefits of ORBERA
ORBERA is a weight-loss program designed to improve your overall health.Benefits include:
- Temporary balloon placement instead of permanent alternatives
- It doesn't require surgery or leave scars
- Short recovery time
- It can increase your amount of weight loss vs. diet and exercise alone
- The procedure takes about 20-30 minutes to complete
Before and After
What To Expect:
- Your doctor will assess and counsel you on the benefits and risks of surgery. You'll discuss attributes of a healthy lifestyle and eating habits.
- Weight-loss surgery takes about 1-2 hours and typically requires a two-day hospital stay.
- After the operation, patients experience an average weight loss of 55-70 percent the first year and maintain over 50 percent weight loss after five years.
We offer a support group and nutritional help before and after weight-loss surgery.
Is Weight-Loss Surgery For You?
If you are morbidly obese and have tried every diet, medication and lifestyle change with no long-lasting result, this procedure may be for you. You must also:
- Feel ready to undergo a change in lifestyle and eating habits
- Be twice your ideal body weight or more, or have a BMI greater than 35
- Have the approval of your primary doctor
Your insurance may not cover weight-loss surgery. Be sure to check with your provider before scheduling an appointment.