The UVA Allergy Research Lab is investigating the role of tick bites in clinical symptoms and immunologic markers and how they change over time.
You may be eligible if:
* you are 18 years or older
* you have had a self-described “itchy” tick bite or bites within the past year
* you have the ability to return over the course of the study for follow-up visits
Qualifying volunteers will be asked to:
1. Complete an eligibility screening
2. Sign a consent form
3. Complete a questionnaire about your medical, diet, and tick bite history.
4. Have a blood draw (maximum volume drawn is ~3 ½ tablespoons)
5. Return for a second visit in ~ 1 month for an additional blood draw and questionnaire
6. Come in for follow up visits every 6-12 months for an additional blood draw and questionnaire at each visit for up to 5 years (these visits are encouraged but not mandatory).
7.In the event of a recent tick bite or bee sting, there is potential for 2 optional skin biopsies (each ~4 mm in diameter)
For more information, contact the UVA Allergy Research Lab at 434-243-8094 and ask about the “tick and skin research study”.
$25 per visit. Additional compensation is provided if biopsies are carried out.