- ABMS Certification:
- Neurology, 1998
- Research Interests:
Genetics, inflammation in cerebrovascular disease and other neurological diseases
- Clinical Practice:
- Arteriovenous Malformations (AVMs), Carotid Artery Disease, Cerebral (Brain or Intracranial) Aneurysm, Subarachnoid Hemorrhage, Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) (Mini-stroke), Ischemic Stroke, Vascular Malformations, Vein Diseases, Stroke, Neurology Services
- Professor of Neurology and Public Health Sciences
I was born at the University of Virginia Hospital and lived in Charlottesville as a child. I returned to Charlottesville and the University of Virginia in 1997. My family and I enjoy Charlottesville and the surrounding region. Currently, I am an Professor of Neurology and Public Health Sciences where I serve as the Associate Medical Director of the Stroke Service and Director of the Acute Stroke Intervention Team. I am also affiliate Faculty in the Center for Public Health Genomics. I serve as an Associate Editor of the journal Neurology.
My clinical practice is focused in cerebral vascular (stroke) neurology. In addition to general stroke care, I have a special interest in genetic causes of stroke and stroke in the young. My time with patients includes both usual care and clinical research activities in the inpatient, outpatient and emergency department settings.
- 2013-2018 Best Doctors in America® List
- Emory University, 1993
- Neurology, Columbia University
- Cerebrovascular Neurology, University of Virginia