Breastfeeding Medicine ProgramUniversity Hospital
1215 Lee St.
Charlottesville, VA 22903Directions
Monday - Friday | 9:00 am - 5:00 pmWeekends and Holidays | 9.00 am - 3:00 pm
Parking: Free with validation, using your green parking ticket when you register at your appointment. Use the Lee Street Parking Garage directly across the street from University Hospital and Emergency Department.
Shuttle service: Runs every 30 minutes, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Find shuttle stop locations.
UVA's is one of only 12 hospitals recognized by the Virginia Department of Health for its support to breastfeeding moms.
Our lactation consultants visit with every new mother after delivery. We offer lactation support to all moms and babies coping with breastfeeding difficulties. We also provide follow-up phone calls to all breastfeeding moms for ongoing support.
Our NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) provides support to families on a variety of breastfeeding issues unique to NICU babies.
Outpatient Follow-up Visits
We offer outpatient visits for personal breastfeeding issues, including:
- Evaluation of latch and milk intake
- Help with increasing milk supply
- Management of breast refusal or nipple confusion
- Evaluation of nipple and breast pain
- Treatment for plugged ducts, engorgement, mastitis and sore nipples
- Evaluation and treatment of tongue tie
- Management for slow weight gain
- Support for complex breastfeeding issues
We also provide:
- Prenatal consultation
- Help with pumping and and breastfeeding when returning to work/school
- Education about the benefits of breast milk and tools for breastfeeding success
We offer parenting classes to help prepare and educate you about parenthood. Register for our breastfeeding basics class.
Learn more about our breastfeeding program.
Mothers needing breastfeeding help at home: Call 434.924.0000 and ask for the breastfeeding medicine consultant.