Emergency DepartmentUniversity Hospital
1215 Lee St.
Charlottesville, VA 22903Directions
Open every day, 24 hours a day.
Parking: Parking is available for free in the Lee Street Parking Garage, directly across the street from University Hospital and the Emergency Department.
Valet parking is currently restricted to patients with disabilities only.
Entrance is now limited to the main Emergency Department entrance on Lee Street.
If you have these symptoms:
- Difficulty breathing
Please call before coming to the Emergency Department for screening and next steps.
- Only one visitor allowed for the length of the visit. Visitors asked to limit arrival and departure from space. Practice social distancing.
- Adult patients with children and no childcare can bring multiple children.
Please note: Visitors will not be able to remain in the lobby, cafeteria or other waiting rooms, aside from approved exceptions. Visitors should limit movement. If designated visitors need to travel to other areas of the facility (cafeteria, gift shop, restroom, etc.), they should go and return immediately to room/designated waiting area.
Emergency Department Features
Our 70-bed, Level 1 trauma center treats all types of adult and children's emergencies. Services include:
- Adult emergency department with bedside registration, four operating rooms, and a 10-bed clinical decision-making unit
- Children’s emergency department, an 11-bed area with a separate children’s lobby and emergency specialists for patients under 20 years of age
- Rapid Medical Evaluation area, a 12-bed section designed to address minor emergencies like sore throats, fevers, sprains and lacerations
- Dedicated 8-bed section for behavioral and mental health emergencies
- Interventional cardiology and radiology suites
The emergency department:
- Evaluates your or your child's critical health needs
- Stabilizes life-threatening conditions
- Performs emergency surgery when necessary