Teen Health CenterBattle Building
1204 W. Main St.
Charlottesville, VA 22903Directions
Monday - Friday | 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Closed noon - 1 p.m.
Give us 24-hours notice if you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment.
Parking: Free for patients and visitors.
Park in the 11th Street Garage.
Enter the Battle Building on Level C.
Shuttle service: Runs every 30 minutes, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. Find shuttle stop locations.
The Teen and Young Adult Health Center is a primary care center for teenagers and young adults ages 12-24. Our team is specially trained to work with adolescents and help young adults with the unique challenges they face.
- Routine check-ups
- Care of illnesses and minor injuries
- Sports, camp and school physicals
- Gynecological care
- Birth control
- Pregnancy testing and counseling
- Prenatal and postpartum care
- Menstrual disorders
Tests and Procedures
- Mental health assessments
- Testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (also called sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs)
- Lab tests
- Hearing and vision services
- Eating disorder assessment and treatment
- Obesity/weight assessment and treatment
- Healthy lifestyle counseling
- School and behavior issues
- Minor surgical procedures
- Transgender health services (see clinic info below)
We don't have a doctor on-call after hours. If you leave us a voicemail, we'll return your call the next morning.
For emergencies: Call 911 or go to our Emergency Department.
Teen and Young Adult Health Center Team
We have a team of nurses, nurse practitioners, and doctors who specialize in caring for teens. We also have a social worker who can provide individual counseling and a community educator who works with parents and students in local schools, churches and health agencies.
Learn more about the services available for teen and young adult health.
Stop by, call or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time to visit with a staff member.
Call us and our receptionist will handle refills for you.
Lab and Test Results
You can view your results in MyChart. If you don't have MyChart access, you'll get your results by phone or mail.
You can come to your appointment alone or bring your parents with you.
When possible, we'll respect your wishes to keep your care private. But we also believe it's important to include your mother, father or an adult you trust when you're making important decisions. We can help you find ways to talk to adults about tough decisions.
Under Virginia law, as a teenager, you can consent to receive care like an adult for issues related to:
- Mental health
- Substance abuse
- Birth control
- Testing for sexually transmitted infections
For all other care, your parents must give consent. If you want to know more about confidentiality issues and costs, ask our staff.
The Transgender Health Clinic offers a safe and supportive multidisciplinary clinic for youth ages 11 to 26.
Comprehensive services include:
- Therapy for anxiety, depression and ongoing emotional issues
- Referrals for evaluations for a diagnosis of gender dysphoria, which is the criteria for hormones or surgery
- Puberty blockers, to delay the onset of puberty
- Surgery referrals (for gender reassignment)
- Sex and contraceptive education
- A community health educator who works with transgender patients to put resources together, such as how to change your name or get voice therapy
- Help finding resources for information and support
The clinic meets every three months in the Teen and Young Adult Health Clinic. Call the number to set up a consultation or visit.
We encourage parents and families to attend appointments.