CMML leukemia can make you tired. You may often get sick from infections. These symptoms happen when your bone marrow makes too many young white blood cells. These myelocytes and monocytes may never mature and work. As they flood your system, they crowd out other blood cells. This weakens your ability to fight infection. It can also reduce your red blood cells and cause anemia and easy bleeding.
CMML Leukemia Treatment at UVA
At UVA, we have the latest blood cancer treatments.
CMML Leukemia Risks & Symptoms
Older men have a higher risk for this type of leukemia. Higher risks exist if you've been:
- Exposed to certain substances at work or in the environment, including radiation
- Treated in the past with certain anticancer drugs
If you have CMML, you may experience:
- Fever for no known reason
- Feeling very tired
- Weight loss for no known reason
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Pain or a feeling of fullness below the ribs
To diagnose your condition, we'll perform various tests, including:
- Complete blood count (CBC) with differential
- Peripheral blood smear
- Blood chemistry studies
- Bone marrow aspiration and biopsy
- Cytogenetic analysis
Content was created using EBSCO’s Health Library. Edits to original content made by Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia. This information is not a substitute for professional medical advice.