Relief for Enlarged Prostate
Our advanced treatments for relief of an enlarged prostate include:
- GreenLight Laser treatment, safer than traditional procedures
- Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) surgery, at the UVA Cancer Center
Prostate Cancer Treatments
After skin cancer, prostate cancer is the most common cancer in American men. At UVA, we treat prostate cancer with the very latest technological advances. These include:
- Cryotherapy — freezes tumors without damaging health tissue
- Prostatectomy — removes part of the prostate with the help of a robot
- Brachytherapy — uses tiny radioactive seeds to target radiation and minimize effects on healthy tissue
New Prostate Cancer Treatment: Brachytherapy Plus
You can now access the most precise form of high-dose radiation therapy available: high-dose rate brachytherapy. You can benefit from two different kinds of intense, targeted radiation with advanced protective measures. Only a few hospitals in the country have this approach available.
Find out if you're a candidate for high-dose radiation brachytherapy.
Treatment Spotlight: da Vinci® Robotic Surgery
We were one of the first medical centers in Virginia to offer the da Vinci robotic prostatectomy for treatment of prostate cancer.
This procedure involves the use of a miniature camera and robotic “hands” that your doctor inserts into the body through a series of tiny incisions. These tools ensure steadiness and precision, which allows your doctor to see better and avoid damage to nearby nerves and muscles that control continence and potency.
- Reduced blood loss
- Reduced post-operative pain
- Shorter hospital stays
- Less likelihood of side effects like impotence, incontinence and infection
We offer treatments for prostate cancer through the UVA Cancer Center.