We are proud to be named a Comprehensive Stroke Center, the highest level of certification available from The Joint Commission and American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Just 3 percent of hospitals nationwide have earned this certification from the Joint Commission. We are one of three Joint Commission-certified Comprehensive Stroke Centers in Virginia.
Comprehensive Stroke Center certification means our team is ready 24/7 to deliver the most advanced care for stroke, stroke complications and meets rigorous standards for caring for the most complex stroke cases.
A stroke can happen to anyone. Some facts may surprise you:
- Stroke is the leading cause of serious disability in the U.S.
- Each year, strokes kill more women than breast cancer.
- One-third of strokes happen to people under age 65.
The Most Advanced Treatment for Stroke
Comprehensive stroke centers are the only stroke centers to offer:
- Care for all types of strokes, including bleeding (hemorrhagic), like those caused by brain aneurysms
- 24/7 access to advanced treatment options, including minimally invasive catheter procedures
- 24/7 access to complex neurosurgical treatments, including brain aneurysm clipping, vascular malformation surgery and carotid endarterectomy
- Neuroscience intensive care unit (ICU) staffed by care providers with specialized training in neurocritical care and featuring advanced technology for treating stroke
- Accepts patients transferred from other stroke centers
Telestroke Services at UVA
The stroke team is one of the first to adopt telemedicine at UVA. Telestroke is the application of stroke clinical care to remote or low access areas where there is not availability to neurological expertise. View transcript.