Make a plan now, before you have a stroke: Go to the stroke experts. We're proud to be named a Comprehensive Stroke Center, the highest level of certification available from The Joint Commission and American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.
Just 3% of hospitals nationwide have earned this certification from The Joint Commission. We are 1 of 3 Joint Commission-certified Comprehensive Stroke Centers in Virginia.
Nationally Recognized Care
U.S. News & World Report has given our stroke services the highest possible ratings. That means our stroke care ranks higher than the national average.
What a Comprehensive Stroke Center Means for You
If you have a stroke, you want to trust that you'll receive the most advanced care possible. Our Comprehensive Stroke Center certification gives you that confidence. It means you have access to:
- Our expert stroke team, 24/7
- Treatment that meets rigorous standards, informed by constant research
- Experience with the most complex stroke cases
- The opportunity to enroll in clinical trials and participate in research studies, including stroke clinical trials
Telestroke Services at UVA Health
The stroke team is one of the first to adopt telemedicine at UVA Health. Telestroke is the application of stroke clinical care to remote or low access areas where there is not availability to neurological expertise. View telestroke program transcript.
Conditions We Treat
- Arteriovenous malformations (AVMs)
- Carotid and vertebrobasilar disease
- Intracranial hemorrhage
A stroke can happen to anyone. Some facts may surprise you:
- Stroke is the leading cause of serious disability in the U.S.
- Each year, strokes kill more women than breast cancer.
- One-third of strokes happen to people under age 65.
The Most Advanced Treatment for Stroke
Comprehensive stroke centers are the only stroke centers to offer:
- Care for all types of strokes, including bleeding (hemorrhagic), like those caused by ruptured brain aneurysms
- 24/7 access to advanced treatment options, including minimally invasive catheter procedures
- 24/7 access to complex neurosurgical treatments, including brain aneurysm clipping, vascular malformation surgery and carotid endarterectomy
- Neuroscience intensive care unit (ICU) staffed by care providers with specialized training in neurocritical care and featuring advanced technology for treating stroke
- Accepts patients transferred from other stroke centers
Our Stroke Team
On call 24 hours a day, our stroke team includes specialty-trained stroke neurologists and a range of other specialists who will evaluate and treat you within minutes. A rapid evaluation is essential to providing the right treatment at the right time.
Our stroke team includes:
- Neurologists who specialize in treating stroke
- Emergency room providers
- Cerebrovascular and endovascular neurosurgeons
- Interventional neuroradiologists
- Stroke-trained nursing staff for a dedicated 10-bed stroke unit and 12-bed neuro-intensive care unit