Make a plan now, before you have a stroke: Go to the stroke experts. We're proud to be named a Comprehensive Stroke Center, the highest level of certification available from The Joint Commission and American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Just 3% of hospitals nationwide have earned this certification from the Joint Commission. We are one of three Joint Commission-certified Comprehensive Stroke Centers in Virginia.
What a Comprehensive Stroke Center Means for You
If you have a stroke, you want to trust that you'll receive the most advanced care possible. Our certification as a Comprehensive Stroke Center certification gives you that confidence. It means you have access to:
- Our expert stroke team, 24/7
- Treatment that meets rigorous standards, informed by constant research
- Experience with the most complex stroke cases
- The opportunity to enroll in clinical trials and participate in research studies, including:
Telestroke Services at UVA
The stroke team is one of the first to adopt telemedicine at UVA. Telestroke is the application of stroke clinical care to remote or low access areas where there is not availability to neurological expertise. View telestroke program transcript.
A stroke can happen to anyone. Some facts may surprise you:
- Stroke is the leading cause of serious disability in the U.S.
- Each year, strokes kill more women than breast cancer.
- One-third of strokes happen to people under age 65.
The Most Advanced Treatment for Stroke
Comprehensive stroke centers are the only stroke centers to offer:
- Care for all types of strokes, including bleeding (hemorrhagic), like those caused by brain aneurysms
- 24/7 access to advanced treatment options, including minimally invasive catheter procedures
- 24/7 access to complex neurosurgical treatments, including brain aneurysm clipping, vascular malformation surgery and carotid endarterectomy
- Neuroscience intensive care unit (ICU) staffed by care providers with specialized training in neurocritical care and featuring advanced technology for treating stroke
- Accepts patients transferred from other stroke centers