Our specialized care can help speed your recovery.
Stroke Recovery Expertise
Our Nerancy Neuro Intensive Care Unit (NNICU) provides state-of-the-art care:
- Intensive observation and monitoring following a stroke
- Special care as your recover from brain or spine surgery
Our Stroke Unit provides high-standard care to help you recover from a stroke, including:
- Digital systems for tracking your heart functions
- Specially trained staff to help you with everything from returning to work to dealing with social and medical issues. Our staff includes:
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Speech therapists
- Social workers
- Case managers
Ongoing Stroke Rehab
We offer stroke rehabilitation services, including an extensive range of services to help you return home with maximum function and independence. Highly trained rehabilitation doctors and occupational, speech and physical therapists will help you along your recovery path
Medication After Stroke
Treatment after immediate care aims to:
- Reduce the chance of later strokes
- Improve function affected by the stroke
- Overcome disabilities
- Decrease blood pressure
- Correct irregular heart rhythms
Your doctor may recommend aspirin and other medications that decrease the risk of blood clot formation after immediate care is done.
Supportive care may also include:
- Oxygen therapy
- Precautions to prevent choking
Stroke Prevention Procedures After a First Stroke
These techniques treat the narrowing of the brain's blood vessels, preventing more strokes:
- Carotid endarterectomy (CEA) — fatty deposits are removed from major arteries in the neck.
- Carotid angioplasty and stenting — a procedure to widen and support the major artery in the neck with a mesh tube. The procedure will help open the artery and allow better blood flow.
Support from Peers & Providers
Stroke Comeback Club
Stroke survivors and caregivers meet each month to hear presentations and share their experiences about stroke recovery, coping and prevention. Call 434.244.2114 for more.
When: Fourth Wednesday of every month, noon-1 p.m. (lunch provided)
Where: UVA Encompass Health Rehabilitation Hospital, 515 Ray C Hunt Drive
Stroke Support Group
Join providers from UVA and The Colonnades - Sunrise Senior Living Center as we focus on stroke education and prevention topics relevant to survivors or caregivers. For more information, call: 434.243.1242.
When: First Thursday of every month, 2:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m.
**There will be no meeting in March 2020
Where: 2600 Barracks Road in the Monroe Room (first floor, across from the library)
Brain Aneurysm, Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM), Cerebral Cavernous Malformation (CCM) & Stroke Support Group
We've teamed with the Joe Niekro Foundation to host a support group for patients and their families affected by brain aneurysms, AVMs, CCMs (also called cavernomas), hemorrhagic strokes or ischemic strokes. For more information, call: 434.924.2735.
When: Second Wednesday of every month, 5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Where: UVA Health Education Resource Center (ERC), 1240 Lee St, Meeting Rooms A & B
Parking: The ERC is connected to the Lee Street Garage. From the garage take the elevator to level L. Parking will be validated.