Our specialized care can help speed your recovery.
Stroke Recovery Expertise
Our Nerancy Neuro Intensive Care Unit (NNICU) provides state-of-the-art care:
- Intensive observation and monitoring following a stroke
- Special care as your recover from brain or spine surgery
Our Stroke Unit provides high-standard care to help you recover from a stroke, including:
- Digital systems for tracking your heart functions
- Specially trained staff to help you with everything from returning to work to dealing with social and medical issues. Our staff includes:
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Speech therapists
- Social workers
- Case managers
Ongoing Stroke Rehab
We offer stroke rehabilitation services, including an extensive range of services to help you return home with maximum function and independence:
- UVA-HealthSouth Specialty Clinic and Neuro Rehab
- Highly trained rehabilitation doctors and occupational, speech and physical therapists will help you along your recovery path
Medication After Stroke
Treatment after immediate care aims to:
- Reduce the chance of later strokes
- Improve function affected by the stroke
- Overcome disabilities
- Decrease blood pressure
- Correct irregular heart rhythms
Your doctor may recommend aspirin and other medications that decrease the risk of blood clot formation after immediate care is done.
Supportive care may also include:
- Oxygen therapy
- Precautions to prevent choking
Stroke Prevention Procedures After a First Stroke
These techniques treat the narrowing of the brain's blood vessels, preventing more strokes:
- Carotid endarterectomy (CEA) — fatty deposits are removed from major arteries in the neck.
- Carotid angioplasty and stenting — a procedure to widen and support the major artery in the neck with a mesh tube. The procedure will help open the artery and allow better blood flow.
Support from Peers & Providers
Stroke Comeback Club
Stroke survivors and caregivers meet each month to hear presentations and share their experiences about stroke recovery, coping and prevention. Call 434.244.2114.
When: Fourth Wednesday of every month, noon-1 p.m. (lunch provided)
Where: UVA Encompass Health Rehabilitation Hospital
Stroke Support Group
Join providers from UVA and The Colonnades - Sunrise Senior Living Center as we focus on stroke education and prevention topics relevant to survivors or caregivers. Email for more information.
When: First Wednesday of every month, 4:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m.
Where: 2600 Barracks Road in the Monroe Room (first floor, across from the library)