Advance Directive: What & Why
You can make decisions now about your healthcare in the future. An advance directive is a form that tells your family, friends, and healthcare providers what medical care you want, in case you're too sick or injured to speak for yourself.
Writing down your healthcare wishes:
- Protects you
- Helps your loved ones make decisions
If you're over 18, you have the legal right to create an advance directive.
Advance Directive Form
Download, print, and fill out the advance directive form (PDF).
On this form, you can:
- Name a person to serve as your decision-maker, or agent
- Give healthcare instructions
To ensure the legality and use of the form:
- Sign and date the form
- Have two witnesses
- Provide a copy to your healthcare provider or hospital
Note: You may revoke or change your advance directive at any time.
Make Sure to Express Your Wishes
Share your preferences and choices with:
- Loved ones
- Healthcare providers
- Your agent (the person you choose to act on your behalf)
Advance Directive Resources