Hospital visitors are no longer allowed, with some exceptions.
See our current coronavirus visitation restrictions.
Call ahead with any questions about patient visits at 434.924.0000.
You can contact a patient by mail or phone.
We're no longer accepting flower deliveries for patients.
Everyone must use the following entrances.
University Hospital (Main Hospital):
- 5 a.m. - 7 p.m. – Use main lobby entrance
- 7 p.m. - 5 a.m. – Use Emergency Department entrance
Emily Couric Clinical Cancer Center and Education Resource Center:
- Normal operating Hours – Use Education Resource Center Main Entrance
- After normal operating hours – Use ground level Lee St. Garage Lobby entrance (L Level) for access to 24-hour pharmacy; buzz-in and pharmacy staff will direct you
- Normal operating hours – Use Battle Building Main Entrance, or 3rd floor entrance from 11th Street garage
Emergency Department/South University Hospital Tower:
- Use main Emergency Department entrance on Lee Street
- Normal business hours – Use main building entrance
- Hospital Drive and Eye Clinic entrances will be closed
- Patients who usually park in the Hospital Drive lot should now park in the West Complex lot
At the Bedside
Allow the healthcare team to be able to access all sides of the bed at any time. One person may stay at the bedside overnight. We offer earplugs and other ways to promote sleep.
Do not feed the patient unless you have checked with staff first.
Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Please respect the privacy and comfort of our patients. Keep your voice and TV volumes low to allow for patient rest. We observe a quiet time daily from 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. and 10 p.m. - 5 a.m.
Taking Care of Yourself
Feel free to take breaks and use the family lounges located on each floor. Make sure to rest, eat and unwind.
Shower options, with towels and other supplies, include:
- The Hospitality House, from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Ronald McDonald House, from 9 a.m. - 8 p.m. (for pediatric patient care partners)
Use the restrooms in the main hallways, not in the patient's room.
Family visitor lounges are available near our patient units for your comfort. A telephone and computer are available in each lounge.
No smoking is allowed. Get free information and other resources to help you stop smoking and live tobacco-free.
Become a Care Partner
Want to give more support? Patients can designate people to be care partners, active members of their healthcare team. As a care partner, you get a special security code, to help keep others informed about the patient's condition and more.