According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, one in five adults suffers from a mental illness each year.
At UVA, we offer mental and behavioral health treatments for a whole spectrum of disorders.
Along with a dedicated hospital unit for adults, we provide:
- Psychotherapy and outpatient medication management, specializing in ADD, mood and anxiety disorders
- An 8-bed section of our emergency department set aside for evaluating and treating behavioral and mental health emergencies
- Treatment specifically designed to support people with chronic conditions and illnesses
- Special care for geriatric, pediatric and women's health issues
TMS Therapy for Depression
About one-third of people with depression have experienced little to no relief from antidepressants. TMS therapy is an FDA-approved, non-drug treatment option for those who suffer from depression. View TMS transcript.
Conditions We Treat
- Eating disorders like anorexia, binge eating, bulimia
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
The Practice of Mindfulness
Living with cancer, chronic disease or comorbidity is not only taxing on the body but on the mind. Kim Penberthy, PhD, ABPP, speaks to her work in mindfulness-based therapies. View mindfulness transcript.